The editorial team that is putting together the new Baptist hymnal Celebrating Grace, scheduled to be published in early 2010 by Mercer University Press, has just released its list of hymns slated for inclusion in the new hymnal. Here are the first ten (eleven by this count, because I’m treating “All hail the power of Jesus’ name” as one hymn despite its being set to two tunes, but the HTML won’t accommodate me):
- A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
- A Mighty Rushing Wind
- Abide with Me
- Agnus Dei
- Alas, and Did My Savior Bleed
- Alleluia, Praise the Lord
- All Creatures of Our God and King
- All Glory Be to God on High
- All Glory, Laud, and Honor
- All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name (CORONATION)
- All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name (DIADEM)
No. 1 is a no-brainer; I presume that the text will be the Hedge translation, four stanzas. If I were doing it I’d give the first stanza in German as well, but that’s me.
No. 2 is unknown to me. I’m guessing this is the one for sale here, but that is baseless speculation. It could be a new hymn, previously unreleased.
No. 3: I assume the tune is EVENTIDE; four or five stanzas, relatively unretouched.
No. 4: Is this the same one (© 1990 by Sony of all things) that is in the 2008 Baptist Hymnal? Or a real Agnus Dei setting? Or what?
No. 5: Since “At the Cross” is listed separately, I’m guessing this refers to a setting to MARTYRDOM (AVON), perhaps five stanzas?
No. 6: ?? (out of alphabetical order, too…
No. 7: How many stanzas? Gentle Death?
No. 8: Four stanzas to ALLEIN GOTT? Not a foregone conclusion that this would be in a Baptist hymnal.
No. 9: Three stanzas, or five stanzas with a refrain? I’d prefer the latter, but the former is certainly the rule in Baptist hymnals.
No. 10/11: Probably just four stanzas of each of these, but I could do with six. A bit modernized? We’ll see.
Overall it looks like a solid selection of hymns. The vast majority of the “must haves” seem to be there (though the omission of “Great is Thy faithfulness” and “Rock of ages, cleft for me” was unforeseen). Not a whole lot of non-American stuff, and no indication if anything is not in English.
The hymns that are in nine or ten of our Evergreen Baptist churches’ hymnals that are missing here are:
- Be not dismayed whate’er betide
- Great is thy faithfulness
- I am weak but thou art strong
- I can hear my Savior calling
- I must tell Jesus all of my trials
- Jesus is tenderly calling you home
- King of my life I crown thee now
- More about Jesus would I know
- Nearer, my God, to thee
- Rock of ages, cleft for me
- Savior, thy dying love
- Take the name of Jesus with you
- There’s a sweet, sweet Spirit in this place
- There’s not a friend like the lowly Jesus
Hopefully in a few days I will tackle a few more. Looking eagerly forward to seeing the finished product.